“The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless.” Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Repetition creates additional opportunities to learn.
After I completed the first experiment using painter’s construction caulking as an art medium I decided to try another smaller painting. As my first attempt, I started without a plan other than knowing I wanted to build up the medium.
I had my canvas ready and began to smear the first layer of caulking. I used a palette blade to smooth the caulk into a third-inch thick layer. This time, I wanted to expand on the previous technique to see what would happen if I added additional medium layers. I also wanted to add depth by carving into the first layer.
I used a palette knife and carved a playful pattern into the wet caulking. I liked the appearance, and this process felt just right for today’s experiment. The art session felt complete. It was time to let it dry overnight.
Imagination From the Garden
It was the middle of summer. I found inspiration from the flowers in the yard and those growing in my newly built raised flower bed.
The next day a pattern emerged after both layers of caulk on the canvas were dry. It was time to add another layer. I playfully doodled a few flower and leaf shapes while further building up the medium. Not sure what to think, but the appearance was 🤔 interesting, not exciting, but I liked the potential.
I knew that I was gaining experience trying something new. I was having fun. In the end, if this mysterious art piece was a failed experiment, so be it. It was time to stop, let this next layer dry.
Applying Acrylic Paint
The garden flowers were mostly germinated from seed this year.
Covid restrictions shut down garden centers making my choices the seed packets I could buy online.
The assortment I planted displayed such a beautiful variety of bright and vibrant blossoms.
The combination of orange, fuchsia, and purples popped with harmony. I choose to adopt these colors for the project’s palette.
The Finished Painting
First, I painted a varied thin watercolor wash. Following, green detail was added as a complement to give the impression of the stems. In the last two painting sessions, the painting felt complete.
I created a frame and hung the finished piece on the wall. Standing back and viewing from a short distance, the texture appeared somewhat like a plush fabric tapestry.
I will let you be the judge as to your preference. I feel the lesson from my second Caulk a Doodle Do painting leaves me eager to try another one!
If you want to read about my first experiment using painter’s construction caulking as an art medium, click, Caulk A Doodle Do.